Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Morrissey - Manic Compression Greatest Songs Album

Not much can be said about Morrissey that hasn't already been put in print. An amazing vocalist, an amazing lyricist, former member of The Smiths, and accomplished solo act. Always mysterious...I've been a fan of his for a good 21 years. Ever since I heard "Panic" for the first time back in the late 80's...that perfect mix of British attitude, mixed with the voice of a "crooner." His phrasing, and impeccable sense of melody, has always intrigued me, whether it was with The Smiths, or as a solo artist...and he always had the musical chops to back his flair for the dramatic. I am of the opinion that he hasn't put out a bad record since leaving The Smiths...and despite his musical boundaries staying safely consistent (read: he hasn't tried to be the "British Yanni" like Sting), he continues to put out quality records decades into his career (His last record "Years Of Refusal" is easily one of his best). How many people quit their seminal bands and have the career longevity that Morrissey has? I challenge you to show me a solo artist who has done it better than "The Moz." Since I am a 34 year old fan-boy (and would probably fail to complete sentences if I were to meet him in person), here are my picks for his greatest songs. A few of these were his singles, but many of them were deep album tracks that I think represent some of his best work. Let the Morrissey-adoration begin...

1. "Jack The Ripper" (Live) - Beethoven Was Deaf
2. "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" - You Are The Quarry
3. "Hairdresser On Fire" - Viva Hate
4. "Speedway" - Vauxhall And I
5. "Glamorous Glue" - Your Arsenal
6. "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" - Years Of Refusal
7. "Suedehead" - Bona Drag
8. "Alma Matters" - Maladjusted
9. "You Have Killed Me" - Ringleader Of The Tormented
10. "Southpaw" - Southpaw Grammar
11. "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?" - Vauxhall And I
12. "That's How People Grow Up" - Years Of Refusal
13. "The National Front Disco" - Your Arsenal
14. "November Spawned A Monster" - Bona Drag
15. "Mute Witness" - Kill Uncle

Note: I wanted to include his incredible live version of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"...but out of respect for Johnny Marr (and The Smiths) I didn't include it on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment