Friday, March 11, 2011

Weekend Picks - 03/11/11

live at Silverlake Lounge
Tuesday is usually the day that new music is released...and it just might blow your mind if you could see just how many albums are released weekly. Loads of nonsense shipped to fill up shelves in record stores...some of it new...some of it old (with great new artwork!). Wasn't it Morrissey who said "reissue, repackage, repackage..."? Despite a truck-load of bad records released this week, there happened to be 2 excellent albums quietly put out...and people in "the know" (like myself) quickly scooped them up (Rival Schools, and Rheanna Downey). Now if you missed out on purchasing these records, you can still change course...you can still salvage your weekend so it's not a total loss! Here are my weekend picks...2 brand new records, 1 record that is yet to be released (but can be listened to here), and 3 albums you should have purchased a long time ago. Enjoy...

Weekend Picks - 03/11/11

-The Violet Burning: "The Story Of Our Lives" (still unreleased)
-Rival Schools: "Pedals"
-Rheanna Downey: "Pull The Moon"
-The Tallest Man On Earth: "The Wild Hunt"
-Gliss: "Devotion Implosion"
-Ryan Adams: "Love Is Hell"

Buy these records...thank me later.

Note: The picture above is Gliss...rocking the stage at the Silverlake lounge. A huge thank-you to Stephanie for suggesting them. They remind me of The Jesus And Mary Chain, minus the Reid brothers fighting in between songs. They are incredible!

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard that Violet Burning yet? The clips sound cool, but as disappointed as I have been with their last two albums it is a pretty big risk for me to spend that kind of money on a 3xCD set. I wish I could stream the whole thing somewhere to preview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new triple record is good...a lot more rocking...kind of reminds me of "S/T". I wasn't to keen on "This Is The Moment"...I thought "Drop Dead" was better...but I'm a "S/T", "Plastic/Elastic" fan. I think the new disc sounds current, but also harkens back to classic TVB for me. I'm an uber-fan, and I like it. You can stream full songs on their website (look for the "sound" link). Let me know if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected...the record isn't out yet...for some reason I thought it was. Soon...soon!
    You can stream it from the link in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me awhile, but I found the link to listen to the new TVB songs. I agree, I love s/t and 'Plastic' and everything since is blah. I like Pritzl though, so I'll listen and try to support him with my $.

    ReplyDelete